The following five people have influenced me greatly over the past three years (alpha by first name). If you aren’t familiar with their work and teachings, I hope you’ll check them out.
- Donald Miller — Blue Like Jazz, Searching for God Knows What, God is Fathering Me (teaching at MH), Story (teaching at MH).
- Jim Wallis — Faith Works, Sojourners, God’s Politics (blog). [and not just because I recently applied for a job at Sojourners]
- Rob Bell — Velvet Elvis, Sex God, Nooma DVD series, Everything is Spiritual (tour), The Gods Aren’t Angry (tour), Teachings at Mars Hill.
- Ron Sider — Rich Christians in an Age of Hunger, Toward an Evangelical Public Policy, Evangelicals for Social Action, Presentation at Adventist Urban Congress.
- Shane Claiborne — The Irresistible Revolution, Jesus for President, The Simple Way (community of activists), Finding Your Calcutta (teaching at Mars Hill, MP3).
Addition 5 for a Life List:
- Chris Blake — Searching for a God to Love, Rhetoric and Persuasion class, Adventist Review articles, personal conversations.
- Ellen G. White — The Desire of Ages, Steps to Christ, Thoughts from the Mount of Blessing.
- Keith Miller — A Hunger for Healing (studied for 2 ½ years in a 12-step group).
- Philip Yancey — The Bible Jesus Read, What’s So Amazing about Grace, The Jesus I Never Knew, Finding God in Unexpected Places, Soul Survivor.
- Viktor Frankl — Man’s Search for Meaning, Psychotherapy and Existentialism.