The list below grows out of conversations with a few different friends who want to go camping this summer in southwest Michigan. They live in different locations, and they have different needs. One common interest: water.
First, I list the camping areas near Lake Michigan or other bodies of water that most stand out to us. Locations are listed from North to South. Second, I post the travel times around the area. Obviously, neither the list of cities nor campgrounds is exhaustive. (And please see links below for local connections.)
What’s your favorite place in this region not listed here?
- Meinert Park (Montague)
- Pioneer County Park (Muskegon)
- Muskegon State Park (Muskegon)
- Holland State Park (Holland)
- Saugatuck Dunes State Park (Holland)
- Van Buren State Park (South Haven)
- Covert Park Campground (Covert)
- Dune Lake Campground (Coloma)
- Shamrock Park (Berrien Springs)
- Weko Beach Campground (Bridgman)
- Warren Dunes State Park (Sawyer)
- Indiana Dunes State Park (Chesterton, IN)
If you want to go further afield, see my post on northwest Michigan camping. Next I need to work on locations in the UP, but with so little vacation time, we tend to do most of our trips in the lower peninsula. Still, I’d love to see more of the UP (Thrillist.com | Exploringthenorth.com | Thegreatwaters.com).
And if you’re looking for a local place to get camping gear or clothes, check out:
- Wanderlust Outfitters (St. Joseph; Instagram). Just about everything you’d need for a camping or backpack trip (or a day at the beach). Brands: Prana, Fjallraven, OR, Marmot, The North Face, Columbia, Kuhl, Osprey, Black Diamond, MSR, Eno, Therm-a-Rest, Western Mountaineering, Klean Kanteen, Nalgene, Swartwool, and many more. You get the idea. It’s not a huge store, but they make good use of the space to bring quality and variety to our area. It’s so great to have a local gear shop with a friendly crew.
- Third Coast Surf Shop (St. Joseph & New Buffalo; Instagram). Patagonia, surf boards, SUPs, rentals, skateboards, etc. Also, check out their paddling shop in Benton Harbor.
- With these shops, we don’t have to go to Chicago for REI or Uncle Dan’s. Shop local!
While I’m at it, here are three of my other favorite shops in town:
- Bound for Freedom (Facebook). Buy what you need, keep it ethical, change the world. We’ve purchased snack bars, a shaving kit, sunglasses, and flip-flops. We’re getting our next soccer ball here.
- Forever Books (Facebook). It’s nice to have a local bookstore, not just Amazon. In the past they had more environmental books, but last time I was in, that area was more limited.
- Cycle and Fitness (Facebook). Bikes and related gear. Check next door for your running needs–Taylor’d Running.
- Bonus: People in Mishawaka or South Bend may value Outpost Sports. I haven’t been to their stores in South Haven, St. Joseph, or New Buffalo yet. When I visited the Mishawaka store, bikes were the focus.