We have a friend coming this summer who wants to camp near Petoskey or Sleeping Bear Dunes. That got us hunting for a good campground. We really need to get Best Tent Camping: Michigan (2015).
I decided to put a list together like the one I did for southwest Michigan car camping. The list doesn’t include ferry options, for instance North and South Manitou Islands or Beaver Island. Some of these are more rustic, some more developed. Some are close to water, while others are slightly more inland.
Here are the campgrounds that stood out to us. I’m sure there are other great locations we’re missing, so share your favorites in the comments below.
- Wilderness State Park (Carp Lake) – Michigan.org | Trip Advisor
- Petoskey State Park (Tannery Crk & Dunes; Petoskey) – Michigan.org | Trip Advisor
- Young State Park (Boyne City) – Michigan.org | Trip Advisor
- Fisherman’s Island State Park (north and south loops; Charlevoix) – Michigan.org | Trip Advisor | Drone
- DH Day Campground (Sleeping Bear Dunes NL; Glen Arbor) – Recreation.gov | Leelanau.com
- Empire Township Campground (SBDNL vicinity; Empire) – Michigan.org | Trip Advisor
- Platte River Campground (Sleeping Bear Dunes NL; Beulah) – Recreation.gov | Leelanau.com | Trip Advisor
- Traverse City State Park (Traverse City) – Michigan.org | Trip Advisor
- Interlochen State Park (Interlochen) – Michigan.org
- Seaton Creek Campground (Manistee Rv; Mesick) – Recreation.gov | Northcountrytrail.org
- Northern Exposure Campground (Manistee Rv; Mesick) – Facebook
- Ludington State Park (Ludington) – Michigan.org | Trip Advisor
Here is a table of travel times for the same cities I used in the analysis of southwest MI camping.
Next I need to work on locations in the UP, but with so little vacation time, we tend to do most of our trips in the lower peninsula, but I’d love to see more of the UP (Thrillist.com | Exploringthenorth.com | Thegreatwaters.com).